3D Animation for Games (notes and exercise)

Vivien Christian Cahyadi [0331241]
Web Design 


Notes



The Tools


Graph Editor

what is it?
Shows the animation in graph format.

Function
To Smooth out, give ease in and ease out. Used to polish. Really like this tool.


Playblast


what is it?
- it works as a screen recording for the animation
-it's not a render



Time Editor 

what can it do?
-loop animations
-combine animation clips (combining the idle state with other actions)
-can blend two different animation clips so it transitions smoothly

to start using :
select all controls > file > add animation from scene selection

What I used it for :
For the walk animation with weapon, I made use of the time editor so that I don't have to redo the whole animation from zero. I did this by importing animation clip from my no weapon walk cycle, baked it, and then tweak it and polish.


Trax Editor 

what is it for?
Making character sets to make trax animation. You can export and import animation clip, and by combining multiple animation clips you can create a new animation. Honestly I don't really like using this, it is quite confusing for me. I can't also export the animation clips as I get an error every time I do that.

Exercises



weapon
play with visibility, use a trick where there's two weapons. (when throwing weapon)
parenting, weapon drives hand or hand drives weapon. Can also parent the weapon to other body parts depending on what makes sense like parenting the shield to the up and down of the hips.

facial expression
First, I imported the audio, the waveform appears in the timeline. It plays when I scrub through it but it doesn't play during playback. However, the audio is still there when I playblasted it. So I started animating, first the mouth (lip synching) and then the other facial parts like the eyes, brows and lastly head movement.

dope sheet
It gives an overview of the whole animation, in block form. It can be useful during block out phase to fix the timing, but I still prefer fixing it in the timeline and graph editor as I am more used to them. I can also offset only certain properties of the object like, only the x rotation.

Comments