Video Editing and Production Week 4 & 5

27/9/17
Vivien Christian Cahyadi [0331241]
Video Editing
Week  4 & 5



Lecture notes, instructions, work process (week 4)

So for week 4, we did a shooting and directing practice based on the short movie "Lalin". The class was divided into director role and camera role, and then we were partnered with each other (one director and one videographer). Mr. Martin assigned two scenes for each partner to shoot. I was partnered up with Sharon and we got these scenes :

Shot 7 : Middle close up of character, reading
Shot 8: Close up of hand and paper


We started shooting in the seating area beside the library (2nd floor). We first set up the scene : the position of the props, framing. Then, we set up the camera. As the cameraman I should first position the camera according to the desired framing and then balance it by tilting the camera on the tripod until it is level. After that, I need to make sure that the camera is focused to the subject.

To begin shooting, the director needs to say "Roll the camera". This is then followed by me saying "rolling" as I press the record button. The assistant director then say the number of scene and the number of takes before finally the director says action. To end the shoot the director needs to say cut. Each scene is shot multiple times until the director is satisfied with the take.


Shot 7 result

Shot 8 result

For shot 7 I realized that the camera's no longer sharply focused on the character. Which is probably because I didn't refocus it in between takes. The first take should have been sharply focused though.  We did multiple takes on shot 7 because sometimes the wind is blowing too hard, the light shifted and the actor performed the act too quickly. 



Instruction (week 5)

After compiling all the good shots, we were tasked to edit the clips into a video with premiere pro.



Work process (week 5)



I arrange the clips chronologically in premiere pro. Then, I make cuts and keep on rearranging the clips until I am satisfied with the editing. For the part where the girl leaves the seat, I did a dissolve transition (the addition one), and then I make sure the position of the leaves in the background is similar to avoid jarring cut.


Editing result










Comments