2D Animation Week 2 - Limited Animation

Stop motion Animation 


5/9/17 Week 2 
Vivien Christian Cahyadi [0331241]
2D Animation
Week 2


Instructions

Create storyboard or thumbnails for the limited animation group project.
Minimum duration is 10 seconds and it must be done analogously.


Work Processes

For the first assignment I'm partnered up with Aurelia. We first discussed through social media and we both came up with our own ideas. So first I thought of these options :

- To do a stop motion video of objects as characters where we can add facial expressions and limbs digitally. ( inspired by an instagram animator @fran.solo )

-An animation with a digitally drawn background, using paper craft characters.

-Digitally drawn characters with photography as background. 

-Fully hand-drawn animation

-Fully photography based animation a.k.a. stop motion.

However, some of these ideas were not possible because we need to do everything analogously. I also kept in mind that we only have just a week to complete everything so I thought it's better to stick with something simpler.


A reference I found in Pinterest made by Rachel Rye

I think the example above will be more simpler to make than drawing a frame per frame animation. Furthermore I like how the hand interacts with the 2D drawings.

Tamagotchi Dentist Game

Then, I thought of the game I used to play often in the past, Tamagotchi, specifically this one which has the dentist shop. I figured it would be interesting to have a stop motion with hands and paper drawings of a dentist.

Tried to simulate my idea digitally first for explanation purpose

another reference (kindle)


 Basically my idea is like a dentist simulator kind of thing, but with a combination of real 3D and 2D drawings. So perhaps I'd have a scene where I use real toothbrush and kind of brush the teeth. It'd be funny too to include the germs monster hiding in the tooth like the one in Tamagotchi, and then the dentist could just press on the germs to destroy them. An idea for a gag also came to me like perhaps one of the germs is so fast the dentist fails to catch it several times. So he/she became stressed out that he/she pick up a hammer and hit the patient's mouth with it to kill the germ.

Another idea of mine is to make a stop motion video involving just the hands with the concept magic show. I thought rather than involving the whole body in stop motion, using just the hands would be easier. 

magic show reference and inspiration

After brainstorming on our own Aurelia and I decided to meet up to discuss about the project where we ended up choosing to make a stop motion lyric video. I thought it's a good idea because this way we would be able to work equally, furthermore it's a good opportunity to put more effort on the first assignment.

Props list

Idea generation


Stop motion animation
Song : There for you by Martin Garrix and Troye Sivan






The storyboard is made with the aspect ratio of 16:9. After this is done, we quickly booked the studio for Thursday. Then, we made the props that are to be used.

Props

Smoke paper sequence, flashlight, cigarette and wave made by me

Paper tears in the making by Aurelia. She also made the letters

Shooting

On the shooting day we struggled a bit with the equipment. Problem is we need to get the camera high enough to fit in Regina (as the model) and the objects. We used the crane-like thing which is intended for video making, and then we finally found out that the leg could be lengthened more with Mr. Hafiz's help. However, it's still not high enough to fit everything, so I tilted the camera a bit rather than having it face straight down.

Lighting equipment 

The equipment which helps suspend the camera

After everything is set up, we started shooting. With the help of live remote shooting and my camera's wifi feature I was able to shoot through my MacBook. This way I could ensure that the camera won't move.

Behind the scenes


Behind the scenes - smoking scene


Editing


First I colour-correct and do basic editing to all the images. From the example above you can see that I adjusted the colour to a cooler tone, brighten up the shadows and lengthen the pink sheet so that it extends to the right.



Final Submission







Comments